clock menu more-arrow no yes

The Ondo State Police Command denied on Friday that the gunmen who attacked attendees at St Francis Catholic Church in Owo had been captured.

Remember that on June 5, claimed Fulani herders assaulted St. Francis Catholic Church, Owaluwa Street, Owo, during a church service, killing over 30 people and injuring over 60 more who are currently being treated.

According to a viral video that has been making the rounds on social media, the criminals were apprehended by a joint effort of the Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps, and other security officers.

Owo residents stormed the palace of Olowo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye, to confirm the arrest.

While attempting to quiet the mob, the monarch stated that he had also heard the rumor and asked everyone to keep calm.

However, an anonymous source within the palace informed newsmen that the rumor was false and it was later discovered that it was about a group in the Owo/Benin boundary arrested with weapons.

The source said: “It was only a rumour. Youths besieged the palace in their thousands when the rumour broke out, but it was discovered to be a false alarm.

“Kabiyesi was only trying to hail their doggedness as he told them that, ‘I heard the rumour like you too’, admonishing them to be patient to authenticate it.

“But it was later discovered that the story was about a group arrested along the Owo/Benin boundary in possession of dangerous weapons.”

Funmilayo Odunlami, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Ondo State, told newsmen that she was not aware of the arrest.

She said:“I can not confirm anything like that. There is no story like that in the state.”

Do you find Xclusivepop useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!