This particular song is a viral and classic phenom with many iconic artists taking their unique brand and trying to sing the song, from Celine Dion to James Ingram to Barbara Streisand to Tony Benet and Susannah McCorkle. They have all sung this song either as an original or with their twists.
The First Iteration of the song
The first iteration of this song is by James Ingram, and the Lyrics are below. Michel Legrand actually composed the music, and Alan and Marilyn Bergman wrote the lyrics. This song was created for the 1982 movie called Best Friends, and in the film, it was actually introduced by Singers James Ingram and Patti Austin.
The song has had much notable iteration over the years by many artists, and some of the more popular singers are also in. So you might actually recognize some of these names, and some you may not.
The list is as follows:
- Tony Bennett In the Art of Excellence from 1986 also the Duets: An American Classic with George Michael in 2006 and again in Duets II with Aretha Franklin in 2011
- Frank Sinatra also performed it in the album L.A. Is My Lady in 1984 and Duets II with Lorrie Morgan in 1994.
- Celine Dion also added it to her album the Loved Me Back to Life deluxe Edition in 2013
- Barbra Streisand also sang the song in the album The Movie Album in 2003.
- Susannah McCorkle Did a lyrical of the song in 1985.
- Frankie Laine added it to the Place in Time in 1985 and the Wheels of a Dream from 1998.
- Andy Williams added it to the Close Enough for Love in the year 1986
- George Benson and the Count Basie Orchestra in addition to Carmen Bradford and Big Boss Band in 1990.
- Maureen McGovern added it to the album The Music Never Ends: The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn Bergman in 1997.
- Shirley Bassey used it in Keep the Music Playing from 1991.
- Johnny Mathis performed his version of the song in 1993
- Pieces of a Dream added it in the album the In-Flight from in 1993
- Carl Anderson also added it to the album Why We Are Here! In 1997
- The Super Jazz Big Band of Birmingham, Alabama, also sang the song and it to the CD UAB Super Jazz. The CD featured Ellis Marsalis.
- Similarly, Ray Reach also sang it on the CD in 2001.
- Rigmor Gustafson also sang the song in the album On My Way to You in 2006.
- Steve Smith and Buddy’s Buddies added it in the Steve Smith & Buddy’s Buddies album.
- The vocal Majority played the song as an offshoot of the original in 1996.
- Martin Nievera also sang it in the album As Always, which also featured Kyla in 2010.
- Salena Jones added it to the Salena sings pop favorites album with orchestra and sax in 2009.
- Bradley Walsh added it to the Chasing Dreams album in 2016.
There are also some live versions of this song, and those iterations are also below.
- Tony Bennett Also performed the song in a live PBS special called “Cheek To Cheek LIVE!” and
- Also, another special on NBC called the “Tony Bennett Celebrates 90” in 2016
- Céline Dion also performed the song live in the Celine – A holographic duet with herself in 2011
- Brian McKnight & Kyla also performed the song live at the Araneta Coliseum in Manila in 2012
- Michel Legrand & Kuh Ledesma also performed the song live at the PICC Plenary Hall in Manila in 2002.
- Thomas Anders used the song in a Live Concert in 1997.
- Lea Salonga the song in the Blurred Lines album in 2017, and also he performed it live on “Feinstein’ s/54 below” in 2016.
Breaking down the lyrics to the song
Love songs have been around for centuries. The emotions attached to romantic feelings and, to some extent, breakups are powerful and are associated with some of the highs and sometimes lows of human culture.
These songs’ feelings are some of the strongest, which is why these love songs are much beloved and resonate with so many people.
These songs can be based on touching the emotional heartstrings, and this one is the best at it.
The first verse talks about keeping the love going and stopping it from fading it too fast.
It talks about how, when you are in love, you seem to envelop in it, and you seem to lose the individuality for the pairing. And also asks how this can happen and how you can be in love without losing your identity entirely.
The song discusses how you can keep the love going year after year without being afraid of things falling apart.
How can lovers and friends keep the love going forever, in essence, to keep the music playing on and on till the ends of time?
The perfect love lasts a lifetime, and as a couple, you have to do what it takes to keep it going. If you have to be friends, then do that. If you are afraid to get lost in another person, then don’t be.
It doesn’t mean that it will be just the work that you put into the relationship; you will need a sprinkling of luck to make sure that the music never ends.
They usually say imitation happens to be the best form of flattery, which goes a notch higher when so many iconic musicians perform your song.
The original song was turned into a single piece in 1983 and performed admirably because it reached number forty-five in the Billboard Hot 100. And it also reached number five in the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
Moreover, one of the trifectas of songs had the lyrics by the writers’ Alan and Marilyn Bergman, nominated for an on the Best Original Song. This was at the 55th Academy Awards.
It has actually become an instant classic that will be loved by many generations to come. Just really listen to the song, and you will fall in love with it too.