Chidinma Ekile, better known by her stage name Chidinma, is a gifted Nigerian gospel singer, actor, and songwriter who was born on May 2, 1991. After winning the third season of Project Fame West Africa in 2010, she became well-known.
She became the first female musician to peak at number one on the MTV Base Official Naija Top 10 list when her “Emi Ni Baller” music video was released.
The Sound Sultan-assisted song “Jankoliko” was released by her in 2011. The Spinlet music service distributed her self-titled debut album, which featured the hits “Jankoliko,” “Carry You Go,” “Kedike,” and “Run Dia Mouth.” Sound Sultan, Tha Suspect, Olamide, and Muna all make cameo appearances on the album.
Chidinma sang “Kedike” at the 2012 Kora Awards, where she was named Best Female West African Act. She recently released her song, Jehovah Overdo, after signing a contract with Eezee Concept.
Chidinma Ekile, better known by her stage name Chidinma, is a Nigerian actress, singer, and songwriter. She was born in Ketu, Kosofe, Lagos State, on May 2, 1991. She is an Imo state native. She is the sixth child out of seven.
She was born to Martha Ekile, a mother, and Hillary Ekile, a father, both of the Igbo ethnicity. The Aneke Twins, commonly known as Chidinma and Chidiebere Aneke, are her two sisters.
Chidinma was raised by a strict father and started singing at the age of six. She joined the choir at her church when she was ten years old.
In the beginning, Chidinma turned down admission to the University of Lagos because of her success in Project Fame West Africa. She stated that because she has always taken her education seriously, choosing to enroll at Unilag was a foregone conclusion in an interview with YNaija. She added that although music wasn’t always on her to-do list, she decided to give it a shot after winning the music competition.
Before moving to Ikorodu, Chidinma attended primary and high education in Ketu. Despite her desire to pursue mass communication, she graduated from the University of Lagos with a bachelor’s degree in sociology.
Additionally, the candidates learned choreography and a number of rehearsal drills. On September 26, 2010, Chidinma was announced as the contest winner. She earned a 2011 Toyota RAV4, $2,5 million, and a production deal, among other things. Chidinma and MTN Nigeria agreed to an endorsement arrangement in May 2013.
As promised, Chidinma entered the gospel music industry after contracting with Eezee Conceptz, a comprehensive gospel producing company.
Chidinma released a joint collaboration with another season 3 contestant before beginning production on her self-titled debut studio album. The album was supposed to come out in the final three months of 2011. She briefly discussed the record and stated that she put a lot of energy into it.
She collaborated with a variety of producers, including Oscar Heman Ackah, WazBeat, Tee-Y Mix, and Cobhams Asuquo. On February 22, 2011, she made available the songs “Jankoliko” and “Carry You Go,” which were helped by Sound Sultan. Oscar Heman Ackah is the author and producer of both songs.
In an interview published on the Weekly Trust website, Chidinma expressed her satisfaction with the excellent feedback received following the release of the songs and her commitment to honing her craft. The music video for “Jankoliko” by Chidinma was released on June 4th, 2011, and was directed by Clarence Peters. As the third single from the album, she made “Kedike” available on October 11, 2011.
The song, whose name means “Heartbeat,” was created by Cobhams Asuquo. Chidinma stated she and her producers created the song’s name in an interview with Entertainment Rave, and she added that the song portrays love.
On January 24, 2012, the “Kedike” music video, which was directed by Clarance Peters, was made public. Chidinma’s love interest in the music video was played by Nigerian artist Dammy Krane. “Run Dia Mouth,” the fourth single from the album, was made available on October 11th, 2011.
She released the Illbliss and Tha Suspect-assisted song “Emi Ni Baller” on September 14, 2012. Legendary Beatz produced the tune. Yes, on Vanguard’s ranking of the Top 10 songs released in 2013, Academy peaked at position 7. On February 22, 2013, the “Emi Ni Baller” official remix was made available. Wizkid provided the vocals, and Legendary Beatz produced it as well. On June 12, 2013, Capital Dreams Pictures made the music video for “Emi Ni Baller” available.
Clarence Peters shot and directed it in the United Kingdom. Three tracks by Chidinma, “Bless My Hustle,” “Kite,” and “Jolly,” all of which were produced by Tha Suspect, Del B, and Wizzboy, were made available on June 10, 2013.
“Oh Baby” by Chidinma was released on September 14th, 2013. On January 29, 2014, the song’s remix was made available, and it includes Flavour N’abania. Young D is the producer of both songs. She debuted the music video for “Oh Baby (You & I)” on May 2, 2014. Ngozi Nwosu and OC Ukeje are the actors, and Clarence Peters is the director.
2017 saw the release of “Fallen In Love,” one of Chidinma’s most recent singles. On YouTube, its video has currently received over 77 million views.
Chidinma made her acting debut in Kunle Afolayan’s 2017 film The Bridge, which served as the basis for her debut performance.
Gospel Music Career
Chidinma Ekile returned to the music industry in May 2021 after a protracted absence, but this time it was to celebrate her 30th birthday and post pictures of herself on Instagram.
She bemoans the fact that she spent more than nine years doing secular music, pointing out that her abrupt turn to gospel music was motivated by a fresh encounter with God and a deeper appreciation of her Christian faith.
On Sunday, May 2, 2021, Chidinma released her debut gospel track, named “Jehovah Over Do,” to signal her entry into the Nigerian gospel music arena. The New Season EP, which has seven songs in total (six plus one extra), was released on August 23, 2021.
Chidinma remains unmarried. However, there are numerous reports that she is dating Flavour, a well-known artist from Nigeria. She has previously been connected to Wizkid.
Awards & Nominations
Over the years, Chidinma has been nominated for a good number of awards which includes:
- Best Vocal Performance (Female) nominee at The Headies – 2012
- Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA) nominated her for Best Afro Pop – 2012
- Best Indigenous Concept nominee at the Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA) – 2012
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Best New Act of the Year – 2012
- Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year Nominee at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2012
- At the Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA), I Am Sorry was nominated as the Best Afro Hip Hop Video – 2013.
- Channel O Music Video Awards nominated Emi Ni Baller as the Most Gifted African West – 2013
- Nominated for Best Collabo at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2013
- City People Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Musician of the Year (Female) – 2013
- Best Collabo of the Year nominee at the City People Entertainment Awards – 2014
- City People Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Musician of the Year (Female) – 2014
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated her for Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year – 2014
- Female Artist of the Year nominee at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Best Music Video of the Year (Artist & Director) nominee at Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Nominated Oh! Baby – You & I (featuring Flavour N’abania) for Best Collaboration at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- Nominee at African Muzik Magazine Awards for the Best Female West Africa – 2014
- MTV Africa Music Awards nominated her as the Best Female – 2014
- Best Female West African Act by Kora Awards in 2012
- Best Pop Extra Video by Nigeria Music Video Awards in 2013.
She has since then released some songs, which include:
- I Am A Winner (with MTN Project Fame All-Stars) – 2011
- Jankoliko (featuring Sound Sultan) in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Carry You Go in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Kedike in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Run Dia Mouth in the album Chidinma – 2011
- Emi Ni Baller (featuring Tha Suspect and iLLBliss) – 2012
- Kite – 2013
- Emi Ni Baller – Remix (featuring WizKid) – 2013
- Bless My Hustle (featuring Phyno) – 2013
- Jolly – 2013
- Oh Baby – 2013
- Sweet Like Shuga (with Flavour, KCee, Sound Sultan, and Professor) – 2013
- CAPITAL Krismas (with Tha Suspect, iLLBliss, Tesh Carter, and Clarence Peters) – 2013
- Oh Baby – You & I (featuring Flavour) – 2014
- Kuli Kache – 2014
- Martha – 2014
- Fallen In Love”-2017
- Jehovah Overdo”-2021
- This Love
Chidinma‘s net worth is US$2.8 million. She is one of the wealthiest female musicians in Nigeria.
- Instagram: @chindinmaekile
Do you find Xclusivepop useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!
Leave a Reply